Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Paleo Energy Balls


Paleo Energy Balls
These energy balls are balltastic!  I totally just made up that word - can you tell?  Seriously, these are easy to make and even easier to enjoy!  The original recipe was for energy bars and I could not get mine to mold into bars.  I doctored the recipe and formed them into balls instead.  I mean everyone knows balls are more fun that bars!  Duh!  I did this recipe without a food processor and it worked fine.  I used my blender and my hands and made it work.  True Paleo chocolate chips can be ordered online but y'all know I'm a Walmart mom.  I've read that dark chocolate with a high cocoa concentration works well and is relatively close.  I ended up using almond butter and its not in the picture.  That's because I ended up changing the original recipe to fit my needs.  You will need:
  • 1 cup of whole almonds
  • 1 package of pitted dates
  • 1/4 cup of Pepitas (small pumpkin seeds)
  • 1/2 cup of dark chocolate pieces
  • 1/4 cup almond butter
  
1. Place 1 cup of almonds in your blender and blend into a chunky powder.  Remove and dump into a big mixing bowl.
 
2. Pour the entire bag of pitted dates into the blender and grind.  You might have to remove the blender and push the dates down back into the blades.  They get pretty sticky.  Kristin - TURN OFF THE BLENDER before you stick your hand in there :).  Dump the dates in with the almonds.
 
3. Add the pepitas, almond butter and chocolate pieces.  My chocolate pieces were big so I chopped them up pretty fine to add to the mix.
 
4. Dig your hands down in and mix it all together.  Form them into balls and place into the fridge.  Here is my finished product.  They are awesome!  And Jesse approved.
 
They don't look appetizing, but they give you a really nice trail mix taste!
   

1 comment: