Thursday, April 4, 2013

Paleo Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Blondies with Paleo Chocolate Frosting

Well you asked for them!  I discovered both of these recipes while looking for Paleo desserts.  The blondies were originally called Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Blondies and came from paleoaholic.com.  To be Paleo I cut the peanut butter and used almond butter instead.  They turned out wonderful!  It was like having a chocolate chip cookie bar all over again...but without the guilt afterwards. Or the added mass to my backside.

Because I am an overachiever when it comes to sweets (that's what got my butt to the gym in the first place) I decided to make some frosting for it.....I mean could it get better?  Honestly, the Paleo frosting recipe SCARED me.  It is made out of avocado and I never imagined it could taste so good. Chocolate frosting made from a green vegetable?  Yea right!   I even refused to tell my husband what it was made of until he tasted it.  It is quite strong!  I think I might back off of the cocoa next time.  But boy did it give me the chocolate fix I needed.

Eating the blondie with the frosting was really sweet.  I think I prefer the chocolate chip bar by itself.  Don't worry though - I found another use for the chocolate frosting.  It was the perfect match to dip my strawberries in! YUMMY!

Forgive my pictures - they were taken with my phone.  In future blogs I plan to actually use my camera to document my cooking!


Paleo Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Blondies

1 cup natural almond butter
1/2 cup raw honey
1 whole egg
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup dark chocolate bits (85% or higher cocoa content) I found a bar at Walmart on the candy aisle that was 90% dark cocoa and chopped it up with a knife.

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line an 8x8 pan with non-stick foil.
2. In a small bowl, mix the almond butter, honey, egg, salt and baking soda until well combined.  Then fold in the chocolate bits.
3. Pour the batter in to the pan and use a spatula to smooth the top.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until the top is done and the middle doesn't jiggle (wish I could do that to myself!).  It will be really puffed up.  Once you bring it out of the oven to cool, it was come down and firm up.
5. Let cool and cut into squares.  The frosting recipe is below!

 
Paleo Chocolate Frosting
from allrecipes.com

2 avocados, peeled and pitted
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup honey
2 tablespoons coconut oil (I didn't have any so I skipped this ingredient)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt

Blend avocados, cocoa powder, honey, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and salt together in a food processor until smooth.  Honestly, I just smushed (I don't think that's even a word) the avocado up with a fork and then mixed all the other crud in with it.  I would mix it good, because it is just plain weird to see green chunks in your chocolate frosting!

Here is the finished product!

Y'all let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment