Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Paleo Egg Breakfast Muffins

I honestly could not have started Paleo without getting my breakfast down first.  I have always been a cereal, pancake, pop tart kind of girl.  I haven't eaten eggs since I was little....although I would enjoy deviled eggs.  I knew I couldn't go to a full blown Paleo lifestyle without figuring up how my breakfasts would go.  I now start off my days with either a protein shake or these egg muffins.  I got up the nerve, with the help of my hubby, to try scrambled eggs and I actually liked them.  Even more with hot sauce!  I bake these on Sunday and bag them up for the week.  I put 2 in a bag and each morning I will peel their wrappers off, dump 2 on a plate and heat them up for about 30 seconds in the microwave.  Then I pour on my hot sauce and breakfast is served!  I use the foil lined wrappers on these.  I find them with the sandwich bags, foil and paper plates at Walmart.  It makes the clean up time so much easier!

Paleo Breakfast Egg Muffins

You will need:
8 eggs
1/2 pound of cooked lean turkey sausage
salt
pepper
any kind of cooked veggies you want to add in

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Brown 1/2 pound of lean turkey sausage (or what ever kind of sausage you want.  I tried the hot sausage and like it better with the plain).  I always brown the whole pound and put up the other 1/2 pound not used in the fridge so that Jesse and I can use it throughout the week.


2. Crack 8 eggs in a bowl and beat.


3. Add in 1/2 pound of sausage and sprinkle in some salt and pepper.  This would also be where you would add any cooked veggies that you are wanting.  I've added a red bell pepper before and onions too.  I just really enjoy them with eggs and sausage only.  You want to cook your veggies first before you put them in here.  
 

4. I use an old protein scoop to measure out my servings.  For an easy clean up, use foil liners.  They are decorated on the outside but are lined with foil on the inside.


5. Put just enough egg mixture in each cup to fill it about 2/3 full.  If you are careful you can really spread the sausage out to make sure each liner gets plenty of sausage.  I'm not sure what happened the first time I made these, but I didn't seem to have enough egg mixture to make 12 muffins, so I beat two more eggs together and used that to fill my last 3 muffin tins that were short.  That hasn't happened again, but who knows if it might happen to you? The last three tins had sausage, just not enough liquid to fill it 2/3 full...if that makes sense.


6. Bake for 20-23 minutes or until they just start to brown on the top.  My oven seems to brown better on the right side?  Of course it does - why would my oven want to cook even?  Top with hot sauce or salsa verde and enjoy!
 
 
 

     

 

1 comment:

  1. I made these this week with fresh spinach - chopped, green chilies, tomatoes, crispy bacon and a little salt and pepper! YUM-O!! They are awesome with the green salsa we love from Wal-mart too! :)

    ReplyDelete