Friday, May 31, 2013

Paleo Meat Crust Quiche from paleomg.com

A couple of weeks ago our CrossFit gym had a paleo potluck at my house.  Everyone brought a paleo dish and a copy of the recipe.  We all taste tested everything and then everyone received a copy of all the recipes.  It was a huge success and I plan on posting a recipe a week from the foods we tasted at the potluck.  What I love about a lot of the recipes that everyone brought is that they can be made specific to the recipe or with what you have on hand in your pantry.

Penny brought a Meat Crust Quiche that was wonderful.  The recipe comes from PaleOmg.com.  If you haven't visited this website, you must go!  Go now!  She has an extensive collection of recipes and currently has a cookbook out.  I think another one is on the way.  And she is funny too.  I love reading her posts!  This quiche is a great breakfast option...but I admit I enjoyed it for dinner too!

Meat Crust Quiche 
  • 1 pound breakfast pork sausage (I used lean turkey sausage)
  • 1 small sweet potato, diced
  • 1/2 yellow onion, diced
  • 2 cups fresh spinach (I was out of this - so sad)
  • 4 eggs, whisked (I don't know if I have a really big pie plate but I ended up having to use an additional 2 eggs to cover everything)
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground paprika
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tablespoons bacon fat (or other kind - I just used olive oil)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Make your meat into a crust by pressing the uncooked meat into the pan and up the rim of the sides.

3. Place the pan on a baking sheet (in case of spills) and cook it for 18-20 until meat presses back at you when you poke it.

4. While the crust is baking, place 2 tablespoons of fat into a saucepan (I just used olive oil) and add the garlic.

5. Add the chopped onions and sweet potatoes to the pan and mix with the garlic.  Once the onions are translucent, sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper on top and cover to help steam the potatoes and to cook quicker.
6. Once the potatoes are tender, toss in the spinach and cover once more to help the spinach wilt.

7. After a minute or two, remove the mixture from the pan and let cool.

8. When the mixture is cooled, add in the eggs, garlic powder, ground paprika and a bit more salt.  Mix well.

9. After the crust is done baking, remove the excess oil that may be left behind.  I used a spatula to press against the meat while I tipped it sideways to drain the grease.  The meat will shrink up.  Here is a picture of the cooked meat.


10. Pour the egg mixture on top (I had to whisk 2 more eggs to get it to cover the meat and veggies) and place in the oven.  Cook for 25 minutes or when the middle will push back at you.

 
    
 
  
         

No comments:

Post a Comment