Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Brussel Sprouts with Bacon

What is a brussel sprout?!
I will be honest here.  I didn't even know what a brussel sprout looked like.  A couple in my CrossFit class had posted a picture of their dinner that included brussel sprouts and that is how I was able to identify them at the grocery store.  Sad...I know.  I can't believe how brave I've become in trying new vegetables.  The most surprising thing of all - Jesse liked these.  

Bacon Brussel Sprouts
  • 1 pound brussel sprouts
  • 5 slices of bacon
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons whole grain mustard
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • garlic powder 
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Start off by trimming a pound of brussel sprouts.  I took a picture of the container that the sprouts came in.  This container held a pound of them.


2. Trim off the brown ends and then quarter them.


2.  Put these in a bowl and add the olive oil.  Sprinkle with garlic powder and mix again.  Spread these out on a nonstick surface.  I used the nonstick foil on a cookie sheet to do these.


3. Place these in the oven and cook for 20-30 minutes.  Jesse and I like these roasted with plenty of dark, toasted spots on them.  Just keep an eye on these that last 10 minutes to get them to your liking.  While these are cooking, go ahead and cook up your bacon and chop it into pieces.


4. When your brussel sprouts are done remove them from the oven and place them into a bowl.  Add the honey and mustard.  Stir really good to coat all of the sprouts.  Add the bacon and mix again.


 5. I admit I was scared to try these.  They turned out great and we've enjoyed them a second time already.

 
 
 


 
 

      

No comments:

Post a Comment