Friday, May 10, 2013

Crockpot Mexican Pot Roast

I love crockpot meals!  So much easier coming home to a meal already done.....healthy.....and Paleo.  Perfect!  This is a twist on a roast that is supposed to be browned in a skillet before placed in a crockpot and it called for packaged taco seasoning.  Browning a roast at 6:00 am?  "I ain't got time for that!"  Plus, I don't use packaged taco seasoning.  I figured I could adapt it to my liking and it was a great flavor change to your typical roast.

Crockpot Mexican Pot Roast
  • 2 to 4 lb chuck roast
  • 1 cup of hot sauce
  • 2 cans of green chilis
  • 1 onion
  • cumin
  • cayenne pepper
  • onion powder
  • garlic powder
  • chili powder
  • paprika

1. I start off by inserting a crockpot liner into my crockpot for easy clean up.  Quarter your onion and put the four pieces in the bottom of your crockpot.

2. I did not measure any of my spices!  I opened my roast and sprinkled each side of my roast with all of the seasonings listed.  I would watch the cayenne pepper if this is going to be a family meal though.  You don't want it too hot for the kids.  I think smoked paprika would be even better but I didn't have any.  Place the roast on top of your quartered onions.


3. Pour the 2 cans of green chilis on top of the roast along with the cup of hot sauce.


4. Put the lid on and cook on low for 6-8 hours.  Mine cooked longer and was still awesome.  By the time I put it in that morning and then get home from CrossFit at 6:00, it's been a cookin' for about 12 hours :)  It has a really good flavor and I enjoyed eating off the ends that had a lot of seasoning on them.

Here is my finished product!


 
 

     

No comments:

Post a Comment