Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Paleo Bacon and Chive Sweet Potato Biscuits


Have you visited PaleOMG?
I came across a website/blog that I love.  I read about her in the CrossFit magazine and her website is www.paleomg.com. What I love about her is that she is really creative in her Paleo cooking but also enjoys nonPaleo food when she wants.  Isn't that the balance we are all looking for?  She had this recipe listed as a Thanksgiving side dish but since it was a biscuit, I thought I could make them and use them as buns on my hamburger sliders.  They were great.  I even had a leftover one the next night just plain.  I'm sure it would be great with a big ol' slab of butter on it too, but I didn't go there.

Bacon and Chive Sweet Potato Biscuits
from paleOMG.com

  • 2 large sweet potatoes (equivalent to 2 cups mashed)
  • 3 tablespoons coconut flour
  • 3 eggs, whisked
  • 6-8 strips of bacon, diced
  • leftover rendered fat from bacon OR 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
  • 3/4 tablespoons chives, thinly diced
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 415 degrees.

2. Poke holes in your sweet potatoes with a fork.  Her original recipe called for 1 large sweet potato, but from the looks of mine I knew it would not make 2 cups of mashed potatoes.  I could two of them and I had the perfect amount. 

3. Wrap in foil and cook for one hour or until soft.

4.  When the sweet potato is almost done cooking, place your diced bacon into a skillet and brown until crispy.  You can use the left over fat from the bacon for your rendered fat in your biscuits.  I did not use this - I used the melted coconut oil instead.

5. When your potatoes are done, peel and place in a bowl and mash.


6. Then add in your eggs and mix well.  Add your bacon fat or coconut oil and mix well.

7. Add your dry ingredients: coconut flour, baking powder, garlic powder, and salt and pepper.

8. Finally add your bacon and chives.  Mix thoroughly.


9. Now line a baking sheet with parchment paper (I used nonstick foil) and use a large spoon to drop your biscuits on the sheet, shaping them as needed.  Place in oven and bake for 27 minutes.


We enjoyed these on our lean meat, hamburger sliders.  They were very good.  Anything to substitute for bread is worth a shot for me.  Here is a picture of our dinner!  YUMMY!

 
 
  
   
        

No comments:

Post a Comment